Using online booking
You can book online with CountryLink in four easy steps.
- Search for services and fares. Using the form at right, enter your origin, destination, preferred travel dates and the number of people travelling. Click "Go". If some of your group are entitled to concession fares, we may ask for additional information first so we can provide you with accurate fare information.
- Select services. We'll show you the available options for departure times, seat classes, fares and connections. You can also browse services for the previous and next days. Choose a service and seat class for your forward and return journeys. Click "Select and pay" - or "Select and add" if you want to book additional journeys.
- Enter traveller details and pay. Enter the names and (if required) concession details of each traveller you're booking for. You can pay for your tickets by credit card or using Pay it @ POST.
- Receive confirmation and print your ticket. Your booking number and travel details will be displayed - you can print this webpage to use as your ticket, and we'll also send you a copy by e-mail.
Who can book and pay online with CountryLink
- Adult (full fare)
- Children (half fare and Child $1 fare)
- Students (half fare)
- Family fare
- Senior Card holders
- Holders of NSW Half Fare entitlement cards (Job Search)
- Holders of Former Employees Concession Fare Authority
- Travel passes (purchase)
- NSW and Victorian Pensioner Travel Voucher
- Country Pensioner Excursion tickets
- RailCorp (CountryLink, CityRail and RIC) employees and former employees
- CountryLink Accredited Travel Agents
- Corporate accounts
Refunds may not be available on certain discounted or promotional tickets, so please check at time of booking. If you need to change your travel arrangements, call 13 22 32 or visit a CountryLink Travel Centre, booking office or accredited agent. If you are travelling on a discounted fare you may be required to upgrade to a full fare and pay the fare difference.
If you would like to book any other type of ticket including sleeping berths, please call our reservation centre on 13 22 32, visit a CountryLink CountryLink Travel Centre or agency or e-mail a booking enquiry.
While our online booking system seats people booking together as close as possible on the train, we recommend you call 13 22 32 if you plan to travel with small children to make sure you are seated together.
What you can book online
Online bookings are available for services up to approximately 11 months in advance. For full details view the booking restrictions page.
- Your ticket
- Class of travel - economy or first class
- Request selected special meals
- Use of an onboard nebuliser
- Your return or continuing journey
Who can’t book online
The following are not included at the moment:
- Sleeping accommodation
- Passengers who wish to convey a bicycle, surfboard or snowboard
- People who require special assistance onboard (wheelchairs, vision impaired etc)
- Tertiary students wishing to travel on a Study fare
- Holders of Ex Member of Defence Forces passes
- Groups of more than nine people
- Travel pass holders
You can still use the online booking form to check fares and availability, but will need to call 13 22 32, visit a Travel Centre or agency or e-mail a booking enquiry to finalise your journey with CountryLink.
What you'll need to book online
Make sure you have the following with you when you go to book online:
- an e-mail address to receive your ticket
- a printer to print your ticket
- your credit card if you intend to use it to pay;
- your concession ID if you are booking a concession fare (this includes students that are 16 and over); and
- your passport if you are an international visitor booking a travel pass.
- if you wish to book travel using Pensioner Travel Vouchers you will need to register for online booking beforehand by taking your concession card to a CountryLink Travel Centre, booking office or authorised travel agent and showing your card to a member of staff.
- if you are a RailCorp employee you will need to register for online booking beforehand by taking your employee travel pass to a CountryLink travel centre, booking office or authorised travel agent and showing your pass to a member of staff.
Credit cards accepted
You can use Visa, MasterCard, Diners Club and American Express credit cards to book online.
About booking family fares
CountryLink offers a family fare deal which allows family groups travelling together to pay full adult fares and half fares for the first two children, with any other children travelling free of charge. Family fares can be booked online and given this discount automatically. If you are travelling with a student that is 16 and over, you will need to select "student" rather than "child" and enter the appropriate information from the student's travel ID when prompted. For students from NSW this is a NSW School Pupil Identification Card (with foil) and for students from Victoria it is their Victorian Public Transport Card. More about family fares.
Please call 13 22 32, visit a CountryLink Travel Centre or agency or e-mail a booking enquiry rather than booking online if you require special assistance during your journey with CountryLink. A customer service representative will speak with you about your requirements and make sure your details and requests are passed on to the crew on your train.
When you book your CountryLink travel online you'll be given the option of paying by credit card or Pay it @ POST.
If you choose to pay using your credit card you will be sent an e-mail confirmation. Please ensure that you print the confirmation and carry it throughout your journey as this is your ticket.
When you choose the Pay it @ POST option, it's simply a matter of printing out or writing down the Australia Post reference number you'll be supplied with, taking it to the post office and paying in cash or via eftpos. Once your payment has been processed you will be sent an e-mail confirmation. Please ensure that you print this confirmation and carry it throughout your journey as this is your ticket. Pay it @ POST can only be used for fares $10 and over and for booking passage on services at least seven days in advance.
If your payment is accepted by the online booking system it means you have successfully booked your seat. Please reconfirm your reservation 48 hours prior to departure by calling the CountryLink Reservation Centre on 13 22 32.
If there are no seats available on the service you wish to take, the online booking system will tell you so and you will not be able to complete or pay for your booking.
You can rebook or cancel tickets at any time, by logging in via the 'Login' link at the top of the page. Read about the fees, terms and conditions that apply if you change or cancel your travel plans.
Safeguarding your personal information
All personal and credit card information collected during CountryLink's online booking and payment process is secure due to advanced encryption technology.
Before you enter personal or credit card details, check the bottom right of your browser window and make sure you can see a security icon. This icon is a small yellow padlock on most common browsers including Internet Explorer, Opera and Mozilla Firefox.